If you’re like most moms, you haven’t even begun to think about what you’ll be serving your hubby’s crew during this Sunday’s big superbowl game. While chips and queso might be a quick and easy option, living a healthy lifestyle means swapping out the good for the bad, even in a time crunch. So for this year’s superbowl, ditch the delivery pizza and try some delicious, healthy alternatives.
Healthy superbowl recipes:
Healthy Dip Alternative: Tomato Hummus
1 teaspoon salt
Two 1-pound 3-ounce cans chick-peas, drained and rinsed
2/3 cup well stirred tahini
1/4 cup fresh lemon juice, or to taste
1/2 cup olive oil, or to taste
1/2-1 cup roasted tomato
Directions: Add all of the ingredients to a food a processor and blend until smooth.
Healthy Pizza Alternative: Pizza Quinoa Polenta
1 tube of Quinoa Polenta
3 tablespoons olive oil
3 Roma tomatoes
1/2 cup shredded mozzarella
1. Pour the oil in a pan and heat on low.
2. Cut the polenta into 1/4 inch thick slices.
3. Place the polenta in the pan and cook each side so they’re slightly golden brown.
4. Turn the oven on to 350° F.
5. Slice the tomatoes. Place the polenta on foil on a cookie sheet. Top each piece with a slice of tomato. 6. Sprinkle with cheese and bake for 10 to 15 minutes or until the cheese is melted.
Healthy Burger Alternative: Chicken Parmesan Burgers
1lb. ground chicken
1/4 cup grated parmesan cheese
1/4 cup plain breadcrumbs
1/4 cup marinara sauce
1/4 cup chopped onion
2 cloves garlic
2 tablespoons dried parsley
2 teaspoons Italian seasoning
1 teaspoon dried basil
Extra marinara sauce
Combine first nine ingredients (through dried basil) and mix well. Form into four patties, creating a slight dent in the center of the patty; refrigerate about 30 minutes. Grill over medium-high heat, 6-8 minutes on each side. Top cooked chicken burgers with mozzarella cheese. If desired, coat insides of hamburger buns with a little spray butter and a sprinkle of garlic powder or Italian seasoning and place on the grill 1-2 minutes, until lightly toasted. Spread marinara sauce on toasted buns and top with cooked chicken burgers. Enjoy!
Healthy Chili Alternative: Turkey Chili
2 Tablespoons Extra Virgin Olive Oil
1 cup Yellow Onion, Diced
2 cloves Garlic, Minced
1-½ pound Ground Turkey Breast
1 can (15 Oz. Can) Petite Diced Tomatoes
2 cans (15 0z. Can) Tomato Sauce
1 can (15 Oz. Can) Black Beans, Rinsed And Drained
3 Tablespoons Chili Powder (more To Taste)
1 Tablespoon Cumin (more To Taste)
2 cups Green Pepper, Diced
1 cup Shredded Cheese
Salt And Pepper
1. Warm extra virgin olive oil in a deep stock pot over medium-high heat. Add diced onion and garlic; saute until tender.
2. Add ground turkey breast; season with salt and pepper and cook through, about 6 minutes.
3. Add petite diced tomatoes, tomato sauce, and black beans.
4. Add chili powder and cumin to taste.
5. Reduce heat to medium-low; add green pepper.
6. Simmer 10-20 minutes, until green pepper is tender.
7. Serve with shredded cheese sprinkled on top. A scoop of fresh guacamole is also perfect for this recipe!
Healthy Drink Alternative: Watermelon Margarita
2 teaspoons sugar
1 lime wedge
3 1/2 cups cubed seeded watermelon
1/2 cup tequila
2 tablespoons sugar
3 tablespoons fresh lime juice
1 tablespoon Triple Sec (orange-flavored liqueur)
Lime wedges or watermelon balls (optional)
1. Place 2 teaspoons sugar in a saucer. Rub the rims of 6 glasses with 1 lime wedge; spin rim of each glass in sugar to coat. Set prepared glasses aside.
2. Combine watermelon and next 4 ingredients (through Triple Sec) in a blender; process until smooth. Fill each prepared glass with 1/2 cup crushed ice. Add 1/2 cup margarita to each glass. Garnish with lime wedges or melon balls, if desired.
| Category: Family Friendly Recipes |